Monday, May 2, 2011

Wuthering Heights


"A charming introduction to a hermit's life"- Wuthering Heights

So I recently finished Emily Bronte's classic! It feels like an accomplishment. Well, I mean I finished this book, AND made Jesus' (as in kinda like Jose, not in Son of God) laugh, all in the same week. I'm knocking of things from my bucket list right and left! The beginning was tough, it's almost as if my brain was resisting the old language. Then, in the meat of it, in a word: consuming. I could not get enough! I decided to share some of the best passages (I thought anyways) with you! Yes, you!

"A half-civilized ferocity lurked yet in the depressed brows and eyes full of black fire, but it was subdued; and his manner was even dignified: quite divested of roughness, though too stern for grace." This was an description of Heathcliff after his return. Spot on, I may add.

"He took a seat opposite Catherine, who kept her gaze fixed on him as if she feared he would vanish were she to remove it. He did not raise his to her often: a quick glance now and then sufficed; but it flashed back, each time more confidently, the undisguised delight he drank from hers." Was it real love between them or all just a game?

"Your presence is a moral poison that would contaminate the most virtuous: for that cause, and to prevent worse consequences, I shall deny you hereafter admission into this house, and give notice now that I require your instant departure." Mr. Linton, them sound like fighting words...

"Cathy, this lamb of yours threatens like a bull!....I'm mortally sorry that you are not worth knocking down!" Heathcliff's response

"Any yet, you have no scruples in completely ruining all hopes of her perfect restoration, by thrusting yourself into her remembrance now, when she has nearly forgotten you." Nelly doesn't approve of Heathcliff coming to see Cathy

"You know as well as I do, that for every thought she spends on Linton she spends a thousand on me!...Two words would comprehend my future-death and hell: existence, after losing her; would be hell...If he loved with all the powers of his puny being, he couldn't love as much in eighty years as I could in a day." Heathcliff will not back down. Talk about stand by man!

"..he found it out ere I could reach the door; and in a stride or two was at her side, and had her grasped in his arms." He wouldn't let her fall.

"Why did you betray your own heart, Cathy? You loved me-then what right had you to leave me? I have not broken your heart-you have broken it; and in breaking it, you have broken mine. What kind of living will it be when you-oh, God! would you like to live with your soul in the grave?" Last words.

"Be with me always-do not leave me in this abyss where I cannot find you! I cannot live without my life!"

"I gave him my heart, and he took and pinched it to death, and flung it back to me."

"Heathcliff, if I were you, I'd go stretch myself over her grave and die like a faithful dog. The world is surely not worth living in now is it? You had distinctly impressed on me the idea that Catherine was the whole joy of your life: I can't imagine how you think of surviving her loss!" Ouch! Be nice, his one and only love just died.

"And, perhaps, not quite awake to what he did, but attracted like a child to a candle, at last he proceeded from staring to touching; he put out his hand and stroked one curl, as gently as if it were a bird." Awwwww, how cute!

"..and the more hurt she gets, the more venomous she grows."

"But I've most of them written on my brain and printed in my heart, and you cannot deprive me of those!" No, you can't take that away from me!

"In every cloud, in every tree-filling the air at night, and caught be glimpses in every subject by day-I am surrounded by her image! The entire world is a dreadful collection of memoranda that she did exist, and that I have lost her! I have to remind myself to breathe-almost to remind my heart to beat!" To suffer a great lost, it changes a person.

It was a good book. It was sad, funny, romantic, scary in some parts. And it just reaffirmed that I am NOT into weak men. Like Linton, he annoyed me to no end! Man up! I would much more likely go for a Heathcliff, even with all that darkness he carried around, simply cause I love that he showed his ugly!


No comments:

Post a Comment