Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Adventures of a Regular Girl Working in the Interpreting World, Part 1


So I'm trying this whole new thing, something about a glass being half full, has anyone heard of this? So here it goes...sometimes my job can be not ALL that bad. Funny things happen quite often. And, if I'm being honest, I feel like my posts as of late have been a bit depressing, and blue:( So a dear friend suggested that I write about funny things about work. So I shall!

Let's start of with weird happenings today: Youree is listening to strange "music" that sounds like a mix between a Bollywood soundtrack, and Dolly Parton. She said it is to get her ready for a Maine party that she is going too. And that's it. I love how she feels that no explanation is needed. Sure, a Maine party, I go to those all the time! I know exactly what you mean! All the rest of these "squares" are so behind in the times. Moving on, Harris said that he "loves germs!" He really creeps me out! And, no surprise, the temp, once again, bathed in cologne.

The typical calls I have to deal with:

Me: Amanda speaking, how can I help you?

Caller: Hello? (said in desperation)

Me: Yes, hello! How can I help you?

Caller: Who is this?

Me: Amanda. Can I help you?

Caller: Oh....Samantha. Yeeeaaahhhhh, you called me?

Me: Nope, that wasn't me. Can I get your name and I'll find out who called you?

Caller: Oh, okay....

long pause

Me: Can I get your name?

Caller: Oh, sure, its......jasdjkaoifadfnamsdnkajsdhui (unidenitfiable)

Me: Oh, sorry! I didn't get that, could you repeat that please?

Caller: (in a louder voice) alkjdfaiofadfnj8d6q34nladnf

Me: uh....okay, and what language do you speak?

Caller: Er, jnkuish, and kjifish, and Hindi

Me: Okay, one minute please.

(sigh)

Me: Hey Jesus' (trying to sound completely normal), are you by chance booking middle eastern languages at the moment?

Jesus': Who is it?

Me: Um, okay, so I don't know if I'm pronouncing this right, but Fleegurmalteay????? (said very nervously)

Jesus': Who???

Me: Um...

Jesus': (sigh) just put them through!

Thank goodness! I have some videos of a laughing penguin to watch!! And in walks an interpreter.......

Darn it! This is gonna be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment