Monday, April 25, 2011

Flight or Fight


Quick! Your backed into a corner, decision time. What do you do?

I would say that my answer, about 89% of the time is fight, who would guess? But I can also think of those crystal clear few times when I choose flight, not so much in a "meta" way, but in that I physically removed myself from whatever was happening, and ran. I would say that most choose flight over fight. But not me, no way, I always have to do the opposite of what everyone else does. So what do I do? I cement my feet to the ground, stare the problem dead in the eye, and dare it, nay, taunt it, to hit me. Hm, I wonder if this is adding to the fact that I feel so tired all the time...hhmmmm, something to think about. Anyways, those few moments when I choose the flight option, it was as if everything got real still and slow, and I was overwhelmingly confused and anxious, and I headed for the nearest exit and sprinted out. Then, whatever the issue was, I would pretend it did not even exist.

What is the better of the two options? What is the deciding factor that makes people choose one over the other? Each have consequences. The flight option makes it difficult to live in reality. Your always picking up and running, not ever having to face what is real and what is happening now. Can a constant "flighter" know what perseverance or endurance is?

The fight option can make a person a bit...rough, for the lack of a better word. It can make you a bit headstrong, a bit dramatic, overly self-confident. Some times they feel like a superhero, like there isn't a problem that they can't fix, and that they don't need help from anyone, THEY'VE GOT THIS! But, the danger is not knowing the limits, these "fighters" are like a Pandora's Box, pushed to it's limit and it could get explosive. What shall a person do? Stick it out? Or, move along?

Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they come for you???? (Ghostbusters)

No comments:

Post a Comment