Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Girl Born in the Wrong Era


As pointed out recently by some of my EVER loving and EVER truthful friends (you know who you are!), I am an old soul. And I have decided, that I am okay with that. For I wish not to be a technological girl in a technological world. Or a 21st century girl. Or a....bimbo, Kardashian-watching, Facebook addict, Perez Hilton junkie, Red Bull drinking drone/girl. Because....let's face it, the world has too many of these girls already!

I would have loved to be about 16 years old in the 50's. Can you imagine how great that would be? Life seemed so good, and light, and dare I say, happy! To have a family setting just like Leave it to Beaver. To have a crush on Marlon Brando, James Dean, Rock Hudson! To see Elvis Presley live, and dance to his music every Friday night. To be scared by The Blob! To wear all those great dresses. And stay in on Thursday nights because you had to wash you hair. See Guys and Dolls or Singin in the Rain in the actual theater! To go out for burgers and chocolate malts! Be asked to "go steady". Your idols being either Lauren Bacall, Natalie Wood, Audrey Hepburn. Knowing how to cook one fantastic meal and ironing the perfect pair of trousers, along with knowing how to play piano, sing, do ballet, and sew a dress in a flash!

I also would have loved being in my 20's in the 60's. Just coming off that time where everything is so perfect and delicate and black and white. Coming into the time of color, noise, and changes. Not that I would want to be a full on hippie, but the 60's had this air of fun to them. Think of all the music festivals and concerts, and the birth of so much good music that you could have experienced! Along with new things like the surfing lifestyle, and the traveling to different parts of the world. And the new sensation of "mod".

Life is totally different now than it was then.

Hhmm, maybe if I just can figure out how to build a time machine....

No comments:

Post a Comment