Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Johns, Joshs, and Donovans In My Life


This post will be a fusion of sorts. I am aware that it is Wednesday, Music Day. But I also have been having my brother, John, on my mind a lot lately. So then I thought (ding) "why not talk about some of John's favorite music?" So I shall.

One of his favorites is Josh Ritter, for when he wants to be cool, insightful, poetic, and feel like a woodsman. Now, John is the type of person that when he likes something, he tries to force EVERYONE else to like it as well. And me, being the stubborn thing that I am, resist. So when he "discovered" Josh Ritter a few years ago, I was not interested. He'd say Josh Ritter, I'd say Mason Jennings. He'd say Josh Ritter, I'd say Zach Condon. He's say Josh Ritter, I'd say Bon Iver. Get the picture? But he was annoyingly persistent in not so subtle ways. Like blaring Josh Ritter any chance he got. For example: working in the garage, at the cottage on the beach, even swapping out my music for Josh in my car. His persistence, I feel defeated to say, paid off. I eventually started to like it...quite a bit. Even singing along if he was no where in sight. Started to like it to the point where I have favorites now. One of them is Girl In The War. Now, I'm not all too sure as to the meaning of this song but I truly do love it. It has kind of become my go-to song on my morning commute when the train is packed out, and I just want to escape for a few minutes. I close my eyes and turn this up, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqLssKusGzM

I also enjoy One More Mouth. It sounds beautifully tragic, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTYRoOVDtHc

Then there is another artist that will forever be associated with my brother. Donovan Frankenreiter. This one is for his funky, hoboesque, silly, chill side. We went and saw him a few years back at The Blind Pig in Ann Arbor, it was a pretty good show. He is just easy, breezy, good beach music. Move By Yourself is always a good "make yourself happy, and enjoy this life" jam, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3umUxPAWstQ

Thanks big brother for sharing your tunes with me:)

2 comments:

  1. Aw... Such a nice post! Big brothers are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. woodsman side? what does that even mean? i think its great though that you finely came around to liking Josh Ritter. I knew you would. by the way, whats your bean situation?

    ReplyDelete