Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Reason #267 to Love New York


I had dinner and dessert the other night for a total of $3.50!

It was a shock to me as well! Like one of those times when you accidentally get 112 points on a turn of Words With Friends. But it did happen! And now that I know the secret recipe to a super cheap and delicious meal, I plan on doing the exact same thing time and time again. And, because I am nice, I'll share it with you lovely people as well!

#1-Get yourself a Metro card, and take the F train to Delancy St (The Lower East Side-you'll recognize it by the equal mix of hipsters to Asians)
#2-Walk to Vanessa's Dumplings House, on 118 Eldridge St. It is a little hot pot of deliciousness and they speak just enough English to get you by. (hehe, I just thought of Brian Reegan when he was like "I want HAM!, you bring me HAM now. I want to of the eating of HAM!")....Anyways....so this is my order: The original dumplings (pork and chive filled), you get 4, rather good size, for $1, and then I also got a sesame pancake which was $.75!
#3-For dessert, walk a few blocks over to Sugar Sweet Sunshine, 126 Rivington St. They have a good selection, there are the old standards (for those who enjoy the classics), and "outside of the box" ones like Pistachio, Strawberry (with REAL strawberries), Ooey Gooey (which is a whole lot of chocolate)...and so many more! Each cupcake is only...wait for it...$1.75, which in this city is a steal!

That was a good night! Not only was it all so delicious, but the feeling of pride knowing that you CAN have an inexpensive dinner experience, and amazing conversation (Whit) for all less than one Lincoln, (that's a $5 bill in case you don't know slang). And, BONUS we got free entertainment on the way...some guitar in the station...and on the way back, an older gentlemen doing ballet in the car, with no music! Everyone should experience the joys and craziness that is this city!

2 comments:

  1. Did you just say "Dumplings" for a dollar?! Delancy, here I come...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yea I did! I could have some right now too!

    ReplyDelete